This article first appeared on our firm blog Gwilliamlawfirm.com in acknowledgement of the great achievement and recognition received by Kathleen McCarthy wife of partner Randall Strauss. I am very proud to provide a second look into Kathleen’s work, her dedication, and
“The teachers we honor today have demonstrated uncommon skill and devotion in the classroom, nurturing the young minds of tomorrow’s science and math leaders. . . America’s competitiveness rests on the excellence of our citizens in technical fields, and we owe these teachers a debt of gratitude for strengthening America’s prosperity.” -President Barack Obama
At Gwilliam, Ivary, Chiosso, Cavalli, & Brewer we take pride in our employees’ accomplishments, encourage their work in our community, and support the accomplishments of their family members. We are very pleased and honored to announce that Kathleen McCarthy, the wife of partner Randall Strauss, is one of the 85 recipients of the 2010 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.
From the White House April 28, 2011, President Obama named 85 math and science teachers as recipients of the very prestigious Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching. Kathleen McCarthy was one of two California teachers honored; the educators will receive their awards in a ceremony in Washington D.C. later this year.
Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching
- Awarded Annually: to outstanding K-12 science and mathematics teachers from across the country
- Winners Selected: by a panel of distinguished scientists, mathematicians, and educators following an initial selection process done at the state level
- Format: each year the award alternates between teachers teaching kindergarten through 6th grade and those teaching 7th through 12th grades. The 2010 awardees teach kindergarten through 6th grade
- National Science Foundation: winners of this Presidential honor receive a $10,000 award from the National Science Foundation to be used at their discretion. They also receive an expense-paid trip to Washington, D.C., for an awards ceremony and several days of educational and celebratory events, including visits with members of Congress and the Administration.
“The Presidential Award celebrates and recognizes effective mathematics teaching. It validates those who go above and beyond the call of duty inside and outside the classroom. I am honored and proud to belong to such an esteemed group of outstanding educators. This award reaffirms my dedication to working with students who have been traditionally underserved in public schools. I am thankful for my colleagues, students, and their families for helping me become the teacher I am today.” -Kathleen McCarthy
Kathleen McCarty has taught second grade bilingual classes at Washington Elementary School in the San Leandro Unified School District for the last 6 years. Previously she taught in the Hayward and Oakland Unified School Districts. Kathleen has been a bilingual classroom teacher for the past 8 years. “Katy’s passion for fostering a linguistically and mathematically rich learning environment is immediately apparent upon entering her classroom. She thrives on the challenges of teaching children whose home language is Spanish.”
- B.A. in child development from Mills College
- Certified bilingual elementary teacher
- National Board Certified in English as a new language